A place For Field Sport Enthusiasts To Meet And Discuss All Things Hunting.

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

dog intellegence

Go down 
AuthorMessage
champboxer

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: dog intellegence   Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 am

like many of people i have trained plenty of dogs, made mistakes what you learn from and been educated by the dogs themselves , i ve found no two dogs ever accept the exact text book training that books lead you to believe that "thier way is the correct and only way".
being mainly a running dog man that when i started training my springer i obviously started work on the dog in my usual way, heal, sit , come ,stay ect but then came the fetch, he took to it fine apart from dropping the dummy after the fetch, just a big game to him and wouldnt drop for love nor money, but and a big but , to my surprise on his first retrieval of a pheasant ,it was put at my feet not a mark on the bird, so getting to the point, he knows whats work and whats playing, with george being my first spaniel i was really impressed with this trait, is it a common thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shazam

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: dog intellegence   Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Have you tried him with a raw egg lol what I mean though is ,place a raw egg in its shell on the grass and get him to pick it up . You have probably tried this with him ,I dont know ? Bloody good thread ,by the way cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
champboxer

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: dog intellegence   Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 pm

hi shazam when playing or working he is not hard mouthed, with an egg water filled balloon he will fetch but not drop on command but when working he retrieves and drops no problems, i just amased me how he could tell work from play, we all try and train our dogs so its a fun thing for them to work but he seems to know where to draw the line
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shazam

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: dog intellegence   Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 pm

You got a good un there mate ,fair play to you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Les Brooks

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: dog intellegence   Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:23 am

Get a couple of pheasant wings, tie them to a training dummy and see what happens.
Although they love to do it, most dogs can't wait to get feather out of their mouth.
When you throw a dummy for him, try to do it with your back to a wall, that way when he retrieves he can't run round with the dummy.
Also make him sit and present the bird, spitting it out at your feet will cause problems with live birds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dog intellegence   

Back to top Go down

dog intellegence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hunting Lodge :: Gundogs & Retreivers-
Jump to: